So yesterday I switched on my monitor to see that Zone Alarm had updated and wanted me to reboot, which I declined to do at the time because I was on my way out the door and only wanted to check some stock quotes and see if Ent. Lawyer had posted up his daily Blind Item yet.
I did notice that my system seemed very, very slow but figured that would correct itself after a reboot, which I did later that day. Well, NO, it did not correct itself and in fact Task Manager was reporting my CPU usage pegged at 100% even with all my resource hogs shut down.
I run the Zone Alarm Security Suite, full version, and saw that a process named “vsmon.exe” was really chewing up the resources. A quick Google told me that process belongs to Zone Alarm. So I went into Zone Alarm to see what had changed.
After mucking about a bit, I realized that the E-mail protection feature, which I do not need, had been turned on. I don’t use a local client like Outlook or Eudora, only web-based mail like Gmail, Yahoo, etc, so I do not need this feature and since it was the only change I could find, I turned it back off and rebooted.
And there’s your fix :)
Unless you are using local clients that pop your mail to your PC, you don’t need Zone Alarm attempting to monitor incoming email. Web-based services do that work for you, so let them deal with the resource issues ;)